Job Security is often a key influence when deciding on a new career path; so it should be too for future-proofing your career. In today’s society, we spend a lot of time making everything secure; our homes, cars, computers, phones, etc. but one of the things we tend to forget is to ensure our jobs are as secure as possible as there is no such thing as a “safe job” anymore.
In today’s highly competitive working marketplace, there is no room for complacency; It is wise to have a ‘Plan B’ preparing yourself for a worst case scenario should one arise.
At times it can be a chore to jump out of bed in the morning and meet the day, but can you imagine lying in bed day after day with nothing to jump out of bed for?
Below are some simple tips to help with future-proofing your career and hopefully ensure job security:
- Strive for industry expertise and showcase your talents and experience.
- Become highly visible in your professional and social network.
- Upskill and attend regular training courses.
- Network regularly, introducing yourself through different mediums and creating as many contacts as possibles will prove highly valuable should you need to look for another job and or relocate at any point in your career.
- Give excellent customer care and service to all clients.
- Be open & honest with costings, time frames for each and every job and know where your strengths lie.
- Make achieving ‘Best in Class’ your top priority. You want to be remembered for the right reasons! Client’s raving about your excellent service and expertise is priceless in today’s highly competitive working environment, and recommendations should never be underestimated.
Remember the development of your skills, your professional network, and your reputation will help provide valuable stability while future proofing your engineering career…