Meetings in the workplace are an unfortunate necessity during working hours. Your employees may even sigh inwardly every time you schedule one.
So, how do you interrupt your employee’s valuable working hours and somehow make it productive?
Tips To Help Ensure Productive Meetings
- Sart with the end in mind: Be clear on what you would like to achieve and in the scheduled time. Ensure everyone understands “What exactly are you meeting about?”
- Efficiency: Ensure you have a fully prepared agenda and stick to it. Starting and ending the meeting punctually means employees can plan their schedule with minimum interruptions.
- Turn off the Tech: Ensure Mobile phones and laptops are left at desks. For a quick, focused and productive meeting there will be no time to check in on emails or social media.
- Full and Positive Participation: Discuss all the positive outcomes of the last session as this will set the tone for the rest of the meeting. Encourage all in attendance to participate; this should ensure motivation and hopefully inspire them to take action.
- Openness: Be open and direct when you are dealing with sensitive subjects, provide clarity with no confusion. When topics do get challenging it is usually a good idea to take a break. Take two minutes silence to reflect with the objective to find a solution.
- Action: Ensure a summary of the decisions and actions are agreed, be clear who is delegated to implement them to determine the project or tasks get done. Be clear on the detail who, how and when by.